Tuesday, November 11, 2025

Soup Can Problem

 To solve this problem I began by researching. 

First, I wanted to estimate how large the length of the can was based off of how large a standard bike tire is. I found that the standard wheel size on a women's bike is 27.5 inches (https://www.femmecyclist.com/womens-bike-sizing/). I found that the length of the can was roughly 7 bike tires, making it 192.5 inches long. 

I then researched how big a normal campbells tomato soup can is. The AI overview on google told me that it was 4.125 inches tall. 192.5 inches divided by 4.125 inches gives a scale factor of 46.6 repeating. Given that a normal soup can is 3 inches in diameter, the big painted soup can is roughly 140 inches in diameter. 

I then looked up the volume of a right cylinder, V= pi*r^{2}*h. That means that the volume of the big soup can is 2963307.27 inches cubed. 

I then started investigating how much water it takes to put out a fire. I found that most measurements were in gallons, so I converted my volume to gallons and found that the tank should hold roughly 12828 gallons of water. 

From this website (https://kiserrenovations.com/how-much-water-is-used-to-put-out-a-fire/) I found that an 1,800 square foot, one story home requires around 600 gallons of water to put out. With ~12,000 gallons of water in this reservoir the firefighters could put out a lot of fires!

1 comment:

  1. You’ve done some solid detective work here — I love how you chased down each measurement and pieced the volume together. I just want a tiny bit of that same sharp voice from your last post: tell me what your “teacher bird” and “student bird” noticed along the way. Bring you into it and this will land beautifully.

    ReplyDelete